Off out to Smoky-Drinky but couldn't help noticing the first recorded case of spontaneous human combustion in Ireland.
The 'wick' effect was demonstrated a long time ago using a dead pig with a similar body-fat level to a human. It was set up in a mocked-up room and produced exactly the same result as observed with 'spontaneous combustion'. The body just needs enough to start burning and then it burns away like a candle. This leaves a greasy residue over everything, doesn't burn the extremities because they tend not to have much fat in them and doesn't necessarily set fire to anything else in the room. It's not quick.
They don't just go 'pop'. No matter how hard we all wish while watching PMQ's, it's not going to happen. But let's keep trying.
Naturally, the article keeps mentioning cigarettes as the ignition source while quickly passing over the open fireplace beside the body. Far more likely is that this man passed out or died in front of the fire, whereupon a burning ember popped from a coal would be enough to start the clothes and then the body burning.
It just needs enough to melt the first bit of fat and light it, and the human candle does the rest.
And on that note, it's whisky time. I'll be back later, filled with flammable liquid.
Oh, and smoking...