Friday 31 December 2010

A night I'll never remember.

In the cold dark North they take Hogmanay seriously. You might think they get a bit wild up here over Christmas but you ain't seen nothing yet. The parties go on past dawn in some houses and I know which ones they are. Nothing more will happen here until January 3rd. Even the 24-hour Tesco is only open for the normal 9 am - 6 pm slot on the 2nd and closed on the 1st. They'll be stocking the shelves with aspirin even now.

The kickoff happens soon so I have to get showered and smartened up as far as possible. Don't know why. Everyone and everything will be booze-soaked and tobacco-infused by midnight and hardly anyone will be able to focus. We will also eat terrible, terrible junk food. By modern medical standards there should be no living thing here when the sun comes up.

I have much to do tomorrow, the dreaded Tidying Up is back at all levels. Like JuliaM, I have to sort out that bloglist because many have stiopped, some have moved, some stopped and came back and it's a mess. My Email inbox is groaning with all those undeleted mails I don't really need to keep.

Worst of all, I have been tagged by Timdog with the 'what does your desk look like' meme and frankly, it looks like something Al Qaeda would pass by because they'd assume it's already been blown up. It's long overdue for tidying but what will probably happen is that I'll put all the crap out of sight, take a photo and then put all the crap back. Carefully. I don't want to mess up my filing system.

None of this will start until I spring refreshed from my slumbers at the crack of dawn. Okay, until I drag my spinning head from my pit of stench at the crack of noon.

A Happy New Year to all, and don't worry about the transition from one year to the next.

Nothing's going to change.

20 comments:

Captain Ranty said...

All the very best for 2011 Leggy.

And no, it won't change.

Unless we change it. I'm up for a bit of chaos, mayhem and general disruption.

CR.

microdave said...

"Same shit, different day" is, I believe, the popular term!

Regards from South of the border.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Leggy.

Anonymous said...

May you live well, Leg-Iron.

Best wishes. x

Anonymous said...

Bottom's up and enjoy your smokes. Happy new year.

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Umm, Good luck with the tidying as it sounds familiar,,HAPPY NEW YEAR LEGGY!

Dick Puddlecote said...

Have a rancidly over-indulgent New Year's Eve, LI, and gird the loins for more resistance in 2011.

It's the duty of every man jack of us to be as much of a pain in the arse as possible to the bansturbatory elite.

It's written, so it is.

The Filthy Engineer said...

Happy New year Leggy.

Anonymous said...

Happy and prosperous New Year LI. I've enjoyed every post since I discovered your blog, and even understood some! Thanks for the entertainment.

Catherine in Athens said...

Happy New Year, Leg-iron!

JJ said...

Have a legless New Year Leggy.

Woman on a Raft said...

Happy New Year.

I think things will change, initially for the worse, but I'm hoping for better by the autumn.

The main message I will be concentrating on is "Don't risk pushing people on small areas when you may have to push on big ones which matter". So, a smoking ban is a small and stupid thing to have an argument over.

It's high time those people and landlords who fancy a smoke were left to get on with their peacable business.

All the smoking ban has achieved is:
a) My front garden full of dog-end.
b) Pubs, especially WMCs, shutting, to the detriment of stable social venues.
c) Violence associated with people going outside to have a smoke and then getting in to fights they would never have had if they had been inside, in the warm, kippering themselves peacefully.

JuliaM said...

Happy New Year! :)

Anonymous said...

A Very Happy New Year

Good Luck with the garden.
I very much look forward to seeing your crocus patch in bloom.

Rose

jones said...

The following link also shows why smoking isn't the evil commonly thought.


http://www.theospark.net/2011/01/video-how-to-save-someone-from-drowning.html

Amusing Bunni said...

Happy New Year, LI!
I hope your 2011 is great!
It's the Year of the Rabbit, so off to a hopping good start ;-) All the Best, ~ Bunni!

subrosa said...

Happy New Year LI. I'm just pleased I survived the last one and the 63 before that. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I spend my life surrounded by antismokers so thanks for helping me to stay angry.

I'm with WOAR - you have to know which battles are worth taking on. Smokers won't let this one go but HMG might rue the day.

Jay

sixtypoundsaweekcleaner said...

Happy New Year, Leggie. May 2011 be as keyboard friendly as the last one. I've consumed a whole bottle of chardonnay and I'm almost horizontal, which I think is the best place to be. Well, until you try to stand up...

Kynon said...

I decided to mostly step off the wheel of t'internet over the festive period, however I am still (mostly) alive.

Happy New Year to you, and lang may yer lum reek!

opinions powered by SendLove.to