Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Truth is out there... somewhere.

I'm feeling light-headed tonight. Must be the new haircut. I tend to leave it until I can stand it no more and then get my money's worth at the barber's. One of the benefits of working alone is that nobody is demanding conformity of appearance. I can look like something the cat would pay the dog to drag in, and work just as effectively as if I was suited up. For the moment I look reasonably presentable from the neck up.

So anyway, I had this idea for a new bit of fiction and I have the opening just perfect. Trouble is, I don't know where it's going so it's type-read-delete over and over this evening.

That's why I have nothing important to say. Instead, I point you to some thoughtful and reasoned critiques of other people's fiction.

First, a roundup of some masters of total fabrication at Pat Nurse's place.

Then the astoundingly imaginative fiction behind the reasons for a total ban on Electrofags in Australia. Not to worry, our own State-funded fabricators will be on the case soon enough.

Truth? Who needs it?

Nobody in Government, that's for sure.


The Truth might be out there still, but I suspect it's lost, or maybe even dead by now.

8 comments:

TheFatBigot said...

In my capacity as a gentlemen with a little hair on the outskirts and a large shiny pate I never cease to wonder why I am charged the same as everyone else by the barber.

I wouldn't mind so much if the hairless expanse receive a nice polish.

Angry Exile said...

I'm not sure if that's a Queensland state law or an Australia wide thing. I've heard conflicting reports. In any case it sounds like it's not so much e-cigs themselves which are banned as the nicotine cartridges for them. Obviously without the cartridges that are going to be most in demand there's little point in anyone importing or selling the e-cigs, but since there are cartridges available which contain absolutely no nicotine whatsoever it could be worth finding out what the exact legal status of the e-cig really is. A lot of fun could be had when the gauleiters come with their ticket books of fines and penalties, only to be told that there's not a trace of nicotine present and that if they pay a fair price for it they may take a sample and have it analysed. Since it'd have to be bought on trips abroad or flown in by visiting friends a fair price would of course be a hundred bucks or so.

If this is legally sound I'd be very tempted to invest just so as a non-smoker I can show a bit of solidarity and make life difficult for the tobaccophobes. Failing that I think I'll be ordering a few of these pens which I'll be sure to hold in my mouth of between two fingers in all designated smoke-hating areas.

Anonymous said...

I did once ask why I was paying full price for a haircut. I was informed that whilst the hair-cutting was indeed cheaper, the search fee bumped the cost back up.

Paul said...

Hi LI - got your book this morning (PR postcode). Thanks so much. I've found a few people who might be interested in your book. I'll let you know if it comes to anything.

Working alone sounds like heaven. You don't have to deal with arseholes judging you and your lifestyle constantly, you just live in peace.

I got a written letter from my MP on parliamentary reform the other day. The best way of describing the handwriting was "unreadable". Bollocks to them; vote for the protest parties, if only because I'm sick of listening to 'them' and being told what to think.

Paul said...

TheFatBigot: Critical thinking - if you need a haircut, leave it as long as possible. If it's a flat fee, you get more value for money that way as you can simply postpone it.

sixtypoundsaweekcleaner said...

Cheapest option is to shave it all off.

I'd do it, if I'd thought it wouldn't frighten the cat.

James Higham said...

We have this new nudity versus voyeurism thing over here. That will excite all the PCists.

View from the Solent said...

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/11/electronic_cigarettes_communicate_wirelessly/

I guess it was inevitable, since electronics are involved.

opinions powered by SendLove.to