Wednesday 10 February 2010

Control. An intermission.

Total change of subject. I bought a DVD called 'Control' brand new, for one pound. It was a risk but it's one I've taken before because let's face it, you aren't going to have much of a night out for a pound any more. Sometimes I get a dud, sometimes I get a good one.

This one was a good one. It's full of killings but not of the overly complex and exceptionally nasty sort. He just shoots or stabs. It also raises an interesting possibility.

The psycho starts the film at his execution by lethal injection. He appears to die but is later revived. Then he gets a choice. Take part in a mad scientist's experiment or die for real.

It wouldn't be too hard to imagine that could really happen.

The experiment is designed to turn nutty kill machines into ordinary people. There is much mayhem and destruction. It was great fun.

Two things bothered me. The ending was a bit of a mess, I thought, and the mad scientist got off far too lightly. The thread with the police chief wasn't followed up either.

Other than that, it was good, credible escapism. For a one-pound film, it was well worth it.

And hardly anyone smoked (Shit! Shit! I wasn't going to mention that!).

(ahem) Normal programming will resume shortly.

1 comment:

Captain Ranty said...

Do yourself, and your laugh muscle, a favour.

Buy or rent District 9.

I hurt myself laughing. It's billed as science fiction but don't let that put you off. You might want to get hold of some of them intercontinental pants. I soiled myself. Twice.

It was directed by Peter Jackson, if you need some added credibility.

CR.

opinions powered by SendLove.to