Sunday 20 March 2011

Can you tell what it is yet?

The crocuses are coming up, but not evenly. I seem to have all the yellow ones up first although a few blue ones are starting to show.


The pole sticking up is the washing line, which was unavoidable when making an eight-foot crocus circle in a small lawn. The shape they're making isn't too clear.




Here's a different angle in monochrome. Can you see it yet? I expected it to be in full flower by now but they're not even all up so far.

I know, there are more important things going on in the world. I'll get to them tomorrow. I've spent the whole day in the garden because of a burst of rare non-wet and non-windy weather. If it could add in non-freezing, that would be great but let's not get too picky. It's only March.

So I am relaxed and plan to stay that way for a few hours yet. At least until Uncle Gadfly starts retaliating.

He'd better not bomb my crocuses. I've waited months for this.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Bird eat the yellow crocuses so maybe it's a self defence thing

Furor Teutonicus said...

A large letter A in a circle. (Although upside down on the photos)

Very.....clever.

Furor Teutonicus said...

OR it is a pentagram.

Dave H. said...

He's simply checking out who's listening at the back. A few weeks ago he said it's a pentacle (I thought they were called grams too, though LI is worringly better informed. There's a fair chance his census taker might have ended up in a Whicker Person.)

I hate to say it, but the top one looks a bit like a rude scrawl. Maybe the proportions are a bit too close to home for comfort.

Dave H. said...

Just checked. Wicker. Idiot. Hungover. Sorry.

Dick Puddlecote said...

You planning on sacrificing virgins or something, LI? ;)

Anonymous said...

At that spacing, you may have to wait another two or three years for the full effect.
My yellow ones come up first too.

I only have a simple drift of crocuses in the corner of the lawn, nothing as creative as a pentagram.

Then again, I try to worry the neighbours as little as possible.

Rose

Billy the Fish said...

Admit it - it's a cock and plums, isn't it?

Prodicus said...

V.

Stewart Cowan said...

This is like one of those Rorschach inkblot tests.

It is either two ducks kissing, or a naked lady juggling oranges.

My sensible answer is that the colour pic looks like the Freedom 2 Choose logo, but the mono one makes me think I should stick with the ducks.

Leg-iron said...

Yes, it's a pentacle. I'm just hoping it'll display all at once, even if only long enough for one photo.

DH - it's a consequence of the kind of stories I write and a pedantic insistence on getting details right. I have read some very strange books indeed.

Dick P - I don't think there are any round here. Council officials will just have to do.

Rose - I try to worry the neighbours as much as possible. I've been trying to get the guts of one of those solar powered lights to run a laser module for garden displays. Can't get the voltage just right. Still working on it though.

Billy - I toyed with the idea of just writing 'Arse' but thought this might scare the neighbours more.

Prodicus - no, that's in Old Holborn's lawn.

Stewart - a naked lady juggling oranges? I'm going to be staring at this lawn all day tomorrow, until I can see that!

Anonymous said...

I once read an apocryphal story about a German POW who planted crocuses somewhere during the war. The next spring they came up spelling out 'Heil Hitler'

The more ambitious might try something along these lines. (it'll certainly worry the neighbours more than a pentacle)

opinions powered by SendLove.to